Monday, April 25, 2011

How do I know when I'm a "grownup"??

In college, my roommates and I would discuss this issue (I'm looking at you Rebec and Sunny!). While I don't quite remember our whole list of what being "grown up" entailed, I seem to remember it involved having a job, married, kids, or owing a house. So in theory one could be considered a grownup if they had a house and a job. Or, if you didn't have a house or a job, you could still be a grownup if you had a husband and/or kids. Even though I've had a husband, a house (does it count if I HATED the house??), and a job for a few years now, I still don't feel quite grownup at times.

In an effort to remedy this, this year I've been trying to do more "grown up" things - have an decorated apartment (still a work in progress - I have ideas, but lack motivation), real furniture (TV! Couch! KITCHEN TABLE!!!), holiday decorations (love my pink Christmas tree), and celebrating holidays with celebrations of food. Yesterday for Easter, I made my first ham, and we had friends over for dinner. It was a really awesome, and a lot of fun to know I was cooking for a purpose.

Maybe I'm starting to grow up after all :)

3 comments:

  1. I think being a "grown up" is just being better at making better decisions in life. You can still be young at heart and a grown-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the previous comment. I also recall making lots of lists with you Jes. Lots of them were about you and why you are so great or why you should stay in Blacksburg. :) So, if I have three out of the four on that list I really am pretty much a full-fledged grown up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I do recall that list Rebecca! We hung the "why I should stay in Blacksburg" list in the kitchen, right? LOVE IT! and yes, I think you are a grownup...

    And you are right Christina! Better decisions might be the crucial factor :)

    ReplyDelete